Google Analytics

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Closing Year One


2011 will be the pivotal year when I decided that I was a writer – not just someone who sometimes wrote. I embraced it and plunged into the adventure wholeheartedly!

This adventure started years ago, quite possibly when I was 1 ½ years old and pretending to be an errand reporter, a man-on-the-street reporter and photojournalist and newspaper magnate and publisher…

Perhaps, it started more properly when I was in my formative years and writing short stories in my light blue Fisher-Price typewriter; or writing plays in my teens; or writing poems and songs in my college years; or publishing my personal zine in my twenties.

It could have been cemented by my first work experience in a publishing house or by my latest college degree in electronic publishing.

Maybe it was unhappiness and an innate desire to fight back injustice mated with gallows humor, or it could have been my friend’s infectious exultation and call to play NaNoWriMo with him.

Ultimately it was losing my job that opened the door to my writing career. I finally had the time and the creative juices were flowing.

Certainly it wasn’t lack of support and encouragement! I had and continue to have plenty of that, and I am so grateful for it.

In 2012, I hope to find another day job, but I will never abandon my writing again. My plan is to continue this adventure wherever it may lead; certainly new ideas keep flowing and I will follow them.

Publishing adds another dimension to my life, one I enjoy immensely and one which expands my own horizons (sometimes in unexpected ways). It’s both a blessing and a drug I can’t give up.

New beginnings are sometimes rebirths and no less exciting. Cherish yours in whatever guise they may come! 

Happy New Year.

No comments:

Post a Comment