Google Analytics

Sunday, January 15, 2012

I love being a writer


Image: Ambro / FreeDigitalPhotos.net

I have been trying to write this scene that is absolutely painful to write. In it, a bitter woman, afflicted with Alzheimer’s has a one-sided conversation with her estranged daughter.

Of course, she does not recognize her child and her conversation has them both stuck over 20 years in the past.

Worse yet, their conversation, though connected by the same event, consist of two independent monologues. One recalls the event as an idyllic memory and the other a scarring experience.

In essence, to write this scene and make it believable I have to relive a horrifically painful episode and (simultaneously) channel a horrifically frightening episode.

The only thing to do is to jump in, head first, let it roll and be honest about it. It is frustrating and terrifying and makes me wonder why I chose to do this.

Then I remember, oh yeah, I love to write…

2 comments:

  1. Just wanted to let you know I have nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award ... Congratulations! More information and the rules can be found here: www.ashmp.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bella! I have work to do to compile my list and it's going to be great fun.

    ReplyDelete